Bass Lake On FilmThe natural beauty of Bass Lake has attracted Hollywood's creative eye for generations. Movie and television directors have brought stars to Bass Lake, California and our Yosemite area hotel since the early 1930s. The 3,400 foot elevation of Bass Lake attracts Hollywood film crews to the scenic "high country" lake as a background year-round. Bass Lake has also been filmed for auto commercials for Cadillac, Honda, Chrysler and Isuzu and Mark Harmon did two Coors commercials at Bass Lake. We are so photogenic, that USA Today named us one of the "Top 10 places to lodge yourself in a movie." Click here to see the article.
If you've seen these movies and TV shows, you've seen Bass Lake on film!
- "Carnival Boat" - This 1932 action-melodrama about a logging camp starring William Boyd and Ginger Rogers was filmed at The Pines Resort in 1932.
- "Leave Her To Heaven" - This Academy Award winning film was shot at Bass Lake in 1945.
- "The Great Outdoors" - The crew spent six weeks filming at Bass Lake in 1987 and there's a scene with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd at the Pines Bar.
- "Meatballs 4" - This movie with Corey Feldman made great use of Bass Lake for its lakeshore scene.
- "Mouse Hunt" - The Bonnie B Ranch near Bass Lake hosted the cast and crew of "Mouse Hunt", released in 1997 with Nathan Lane. The big old house was erected near Bass Lake for exterior shooting.
- "The Giant of Thunder Mountain" - This film co-starred area resident Richard Kiel - known for his powerful "Jaws" character in the James Bond 007 films.
- "Haiwatha" - The shores of Bass Lake were the backdrop for this 1957 feature film.
Bass Lake Location Filming and Photo ShootsThe Pines Resort is the perfect filming location for motion picture, television and commercial projects. We are pleased to recommend local resident Dwight Samuels, as a top resource for historical photographs of Bass Lake, CA and The Pines Resort. Dwight has an extensive collection of more than 200 original negatives spanning 1860 - 1960. For photo reprint inquiries, he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some key notes regarding our camera friendly site
- Privately owned resort, with significant experience and an excellent reputation with film, TV and photo crews.
- We work closely with Dave Wolin, Executive Director of the Yosemite/Madera County Film Commission, and have his endorsement, expertise and support for all projects.
- We are within a 5-hour drive from Los Angeles, with easy proximity to Fresno Yosemite International Airport (FYI) and Merced Regional Airport (MRE).
- We are 14 minutes from Yosemite National Park, with year-round highway access to the southern gate.
- The Pines Resort offers a lakefront, high-country, forested setting - only 3,400 feet above sea level - and summer scenes can be shot in spring or fall.
- We offer quaint mountain-style chalets, lakefront suites, a charming two-bedroom house and one waterfront estate home for backdrops.
- Our resort's historic bar, market, gas station and Marina evoke a small-town, 1970's era aesthetic
- Crew/Cast accommodations, meals, hospitality and security services can be arranged with special rates.